1. Applicability and Acceptance of Terms of Service:
These Terms of Service ("TOS") govern your access to and use of the California Lottery website at (the “Site”) and all related websites, networks, downloadable software, mobile applications (including tablet applications), and other technology services offered by the California Lottery (collectively with the Site, the “Services”).
To register for the Services, you must:
(a) Be eighteen (18) years of age or older,
(b) Provide your name, date of birth, email address, and California home address or P.O. box.
The California Lottery takes steps to verify the information that you submit when registering for the Services. If sufficiently verified, your registered player account will provide access to all of the Services. If your information appears to qualify you for an account but cannot be sufficiently verified, your registered player account will not allow you to participate in some of the Services, including the California Lottery’s Jackpot Captain and 2nd Chance programs.
Only one registered player account is permitted per person. If it is determined that a person has multiple accounts, the Lottery may terminate some or all of those accounts, at its sole discretion. In addition, players with multiple active accounts may be disqualified from receiving 2nd Chance prizes, at the Lottery’s sole discretion.
2. Revisions to Terms of Service:
The California Lottery reserves the right, at its discretion, to change these TOS at any time. Please check these TOS periodically for changes. In the event that a change to these TOS materially modifies your rights or obligations, the California Lottery will make reasonable efforts to notify you of such change. The California Lottery may provide notice through a pop-up or banner within the Services, by sending an email to any address you may have used to register for an account, or through other mechanisms.
3. Description of the Services
The Services provide users with various forms of entertainment and ways to win prizes big and small. As a player and registered member of the Services, you may have access through different devices (such as mobile phones and tablets) to a collection of resources including community-building tools and forums, personalized content, and a wide range of branded programs.
As a user member of the Services, you understand and agree that the Services may include advertisements that provide players with information about different entertainment and programming options.
You also understand and agree that you will receive communications from the California Lottery through the Services such as service announcements, administrative messages, information relating to certain features of the Service (such as messages from the Players’ Lounge), and newsletters meant to share the latest information about the California Lottery. You will have the option to "opt out" of some, but not all, of these communications.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new features that enhance the Services, including the release of new California Lottery websites, networks, software, mobile applications, and other technology services, shall be subject to these TOS.
You are solely responsible for obtaining access to the Services, and you understand that access may involve third-party fees (such as internet service provider or airtime charges). You are solely responsible for any associated fees. In addition, you must provide and are responsible for maintaining all equipment necessary for you to access the Services.
You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Services, including your content, may involve transmissions over various networks and changes to enable conformity and adaptation to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
4. Your Registration Obligations
When you register for the Services you represent and warrant that:
•You are 18 years of age or older and are not a person barred from receiving the Services under the laws of California or the laws of other applicable jurisdictions.
•You will provide true, accurate, current, and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration form for the Services (the "Registration Information"), including your true full legal name.
•You will maintain and promptly update the Registration Information to keep it true, accurate, current, and complete.
IF YOU FAIL TO COMPLY, OR IF THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY HAS REASONABLE GROUNDS TO SUSPECT THAT YOU HAVE FAILED TO COMPLY, WITH ANY PORTION OF THE REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, OR WARRANTIES DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION 4, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE PRIZES FROM THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY, AND THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY WILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUSPEND OR TERMINATE YOUR MEMBERSHIP AND TO REFUSE ANY AND ALL CURRENT OR FUTURE USE OF THE SERVICES.
In the case of 2nd Chance Draws, only a person identified by name in the official records of the California Lottery as connected with the winning numbers may claim the prize.
5. Member Account, Password and Security
To access and use most features of the Services, you will be required to register for an account. You will be asked to enter your email address and provide a password during the registration process for the Services. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and your account and for all activities and usage that occurs on your account. You agree to immediately notify the California Lottery of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and you also agree to ensure that you logout from your account at the end of each session. You agree not to share your password, allow others to access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account on the Services. You agree not to transfer your account on the Services to any other person or entity. The California Lottery is not liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with these requirements.
Certain features of the Services may permit users to post content, including messages, data, text, and other types of works (collectively, “Content”) and to publish Content on the Services. You retain copyright and any other proprietary rights that you may hold in the Content that you post to the Services.
By posting or publishing Content, you grant the California Lottery a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free right and license (with the right to sublicense) to host, store, transfer, display, perform, reproduce, modify, and distribute your Content, in whole or in part, in any media formats and through any media channels (now known or hereafter developed) in connection with the Services. Any such use of your Content by the California Lottery may be without any compensation paid to you.
You are solely responsible for your Content and the consequences of posting or publishing Content. By posting and publishing Content, you affirm, represent, and warrant that:
• You are the creator and owner of, or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and to authorize the California Lottery and users of the Services to use and distribute your Content as necessary to exercise the licenses granted by you in this section and in the manner contemplated by the California Lottery and these TOS; and
• Your Content, and the use thereof as contemplated by these TOS, does not and will not: (i) infringe, violate, or misappropriate any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; or (ii) slander, defame, or libel any other person.
The California Lottery is under no obligation to edit or control Content that you or other users post or publish, and will not be in any way responsible or liable for Content. The California Lottery may, however, at any time and without prior notice, screen, remove, edit, or block any Content that in our sole judgment violates these TOS or is otherwise objectionable. You understand that when using the Services you will be exposed to Content from a variety of sources and acknowledge that Content may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent or objectionable. You agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against the California Lottery with respect to Content. The California Lottery expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with Content. If notified that Content allegedly does not conform to these TOS, the California Lottery may investigate the allegation and determine, in its sole discretion, whether to remove the Content, which it reserves the right to do at any time and without notice.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. §512, as amended) provides a mechanism for submitting complaints with respect to material posted on the Service. You may contact our Designated Agent at the following address:
The California Lottery
Attn: Lottery Designated Agent
700 North 10th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Any notification alleging that materials hosted by or distributed through the Services infringe intellectual property rights must include the following information:
• An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or other right being infringed;
• Identification of the copyrighted work or other intellectual property that you claim has been infringed;
• Identification of the material that you claim is infringing and where it is located on the Service;
• Your address, telephone number, and email address;
• A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the use of the materials on the Service about which you are complaining is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
• A statement by you that the information in your notification is accurate and that, under penalty of perjury, you are the copyright or intellectual property owner or are authorized to act on the copyright or intellectual property owner's behalf.
The California Lottery will terminate the accounts of users that are determined by the California Lottery to be “repeat infringers." A repeat infringer is a user who has been notified of infringing activity more than twice and/or has had Content removed from the Service more than twice.
8. Member Conduct
In accessing the Services, you agree not to:
• Enter 2nd Chance submissions from a location outside the state of California;
• Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content or other material that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, pornographic, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
• Harm minors in any way;
• Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a California Lottery official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
• Forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Services;
• Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of an employment relationship or under a nondisclosure agreement);
• Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation;
• Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment;
• Disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to "scroll" faster than other users of the Services are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real-time exchanges;
• Interfere with or disrupt the Services or servers or networks connected to the Services, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies, or regulations of networks connected to the Services, including using any device, software, or routine to bypass robot exclusion headers;
• Do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working of the Services, such as a denial of service attack;
• Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national, or international law or regulation;
• "Stalk," bully, intimidate, or otherwise harass another on the Services;
• Offer any contest, giveaway, or sweepstakes on the Services;
• Collect or store personal data about other users in connection with the prohibited conduct and activities set forth above, including by soliciting login information or accessing an account belonging to someone else; and/or
• Attempt to do any of the foregoing or aid or permit anyone else to engage or attempt to engage in any of the foregoing.
You understand that the Services and software embodied within the Services may include security components that protect digital materials from unpermitted distribution, reproduction or use. You may not attempt to override or circumvent any of these digital protection measures except as expressly permitted by law.
9. Interstate Nature of Communications on the California Lottery Network
When you register for the Services, you acknowledge that you will be causing communications to be sent through the California Lottery's computer network, portions of which are located in California, Texas, and other locations in the United States or abroad. As a result of this network, communications that may seem to be intrastate in nature can result in the transmission of interstate or international communications, regardless of where you are physically located at the time of transmission. Accordingly, by accepting these TOS, you acknowledge that use of the Services may result in interstate or international data transmissions.
10. Submission of Ideas to the California Lottery
Any unsolicited idea submissions made by you will be handled in accordance with the California Lottery's Submissions Policy.
You agree to indemnify and hold the California Lottery and its affiliates, agents, employees, partners, and licensors harmless from any and all claims or demands, including reasonable court costs and attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content you submit, post, transmit, modify, or otherwise make available through the Services, your use of the Services, your connection to the Services, your violation of the TOS, or your violation of any rights of any third party.
12. No Commercial Reuse of the Services
You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, resell, or exploit for any personal or commercial purposes any portion, use of, or access to the Services (including any Content, advertisements, or Software).
13. General Practices Regarding Use and Storage
You acknowledge that the California Lottery may establish general practices and limits concerning use of the Services, including without limitation the maximum number of days that uploaded Content will be retained by the Services, and the maximum number of times and duration for which you may access the Services in a given period of time. You agree that the California Lottery has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any messages and other communications or other Content maintained or transmitted by the Services. You acknowledge that the California Lottery reserves the right to log off accounts that are inactive for an extended period of time. You further acknowledge that the California Lottery reserves the right to modify these general practices and limitations from time to time.
14. Modifications to the Services
At all times the California Lottery reserves the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Services (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that the California Lottery shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any such modification, suspension, or discontinuance of the Services (or any part thereof).
You may terminate your California Lottery account or your access to the Services (or any part thereof) by submitting such termination request to the California Lottery.
You agree that the California Lottery may, without prior notice, immediately terminate, limit your access to, or suspend your California Lottery account or access to the Services (or any part thereof) with or without cause. Factors considered when terminating, limiting access, or suspending may include, without limitation:
• Breaches or violations of the TOS or other incorporated agreements or guidelines,
• Requests by law enforcement or other government agencies,
• Discontinuance or material modification to the Services (or any part thereof),
• Unexpected technical or security issues or problems,
• Extended periods of inactivity,
• Engagement by you in fraudulent or illegal activities, and/or
• Any misconduct as stated in Section 8 above.
Further, you agree that all terminations, limitations of access, and suspensions shall be at the sole discretion of the California Lottery and the California Lottery shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your account or access to the Services (or any part thereof).
16. California Lottery's Proprietary Rights
You acknowledge and agree that the Services and any software, visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, data, computer code (including source code or object code), products, software, services, and all other elements of the Services (“Software”) are protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws. You further acknowledge and agree that Content contained on the Services is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, or other proprietary rights and laws.
Except as expressly permitted by law or authorized by the terms of an applicable license, you may not copy, sell, modify, distribute, display, perform, create a derivative work of, or reverse engineer any element of the Software or the Services. You agree not to access the Services by any means other than by using the unmodified Software provided to you by the California Lottery.
The California Lottery reserves all rights to the Software not granted expressly in these TOS.
17. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY AND ITS AFFILIATES, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, AND LICENSORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY PUNITIVE, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES, EVEN IF THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, RESULTING FROM:
• YOUR ABILITY OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES;
• THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES;
• UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR CONTENT OR DATA;
• STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE SERVICES; OR
• ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SERVICES.
YOU AGREE THAT THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY TO YOU FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS ARISING IN ANY WAY FROM OR RELATED TO THE USE OF THE SERVICES, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, IS LIMITED TO $100.
18. No Third-Party Beneficiaries
You agree that, except as otherwise expressly provided in the TOS, there shall be no third-party beneficiaries to this agreement.
These TOS and use of the Services is governed by and will be construed in accordance with the laws of California and the laws of the United States. The exclusive venue for any matter relating to or arising from use of the Services will be a state or federal court of competent jurisdiction in Sacramento, California. To the extent any portion of these TOS is determined to be unenforceable by such court of competent jurisdiction, such portion will be modified solely to the extent necessary to cause such portion to be enforceable, and these TOS, as modified, will remain in full force and effect. This sets forth the rights and obligations of the users and the California Lottery in their entirety relating to the subject matter herein.
Please report any violations of the TOS to Lottery Customer Service.
The California Lottery protects its trademarks, which are the property of the California Lottery and may not be used without the prior written permission of the California Lottery. The California Lottery does not permit the use of its name, graphics or logos in advertising, as an endorsement for any product or service, or for any other purpose, commercial or otherwise, without the California Lottery's prior written approval. No license to use the California Lottery’s trademarks is granted under these TOS.
THE SERVICES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL INFORMATION AND CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE ON THE SITE, ARE PROVIDED "AS-IS." THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY AND ITS AFFILIATES, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE WHATSOEVER REGARDING THE SERVICES, CONTENT OR SITE, OR HYPERTEXT LINKS TO OTHER OUTSIDE WEBSITES. THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY AND ITS AFFILIATES, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS DISCLAIM ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES RELATED TO ANY COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE, AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. MOREOVER, THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT YOUR ACCESS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE SERVICES AND MATERIAL ACCESSIBLE FROM THE SERVICES ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. THE SERVICES INCLUDES INFORMATION THAT IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATION REGARDING THE USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE SERVICES OR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF SUCH INFORMATION. IT IS YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY TO CONFIRM THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR RELIABILITY OF SUCH INFORMATION. IN THE EVENT OF A CONFLICT BETWEEN THE OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY AND INFORMATION ON THE SERVICES, THE WINNING NUMBERS AND PRIZE AMOUNTS IN THE OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY SHALL CONTROL.
NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SERVICES OR ANY MATERIALS OF CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICSE WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY REGARDING THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY OR THE SERVICES THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE.
The California Lottery may, from time to time, provide links to third-party websites. The California Lottery is not responsible for such linked websites or for the content of any linked websites. The California Lottery provides these links as an additional resource for its website users and makes no representations regarding the content of any linked website or any companies that own, control, or manage the linked websites. Consequently, the California Lottery is not responsible for the accuracy, relevance, copyright compliance, legality, or decency of material contained in, or programs, services or products offered by, websites linked to from the Services.
24. Emails and Newsletters
The California Lottery may provide email and newsletter services to notify interested players about winning lottery numbers and jackpot amounts and other such information. Individuals who represent that they are at least 18 years of age or older may submit a request to receive emails and newsletters by providing their name, email address, and other information to the California Lottery in the players' registration area. It is the responsibility of the individuals submitting such requests to verify the accuracy of their email address.
THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR RELIABILITY OF THE INFORMATION IN THE EMAIL OR NEWSLETTER AND DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY THAT RESULTS FROM THE USE ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY MAKES REASONABLE EFFORTS TO ENSURE THAT THE INFORMATION IN THE EMAIL AND NEWSLETTER IS ACCURATE. HOWEVER, IN THE EVENT OF AN ERROR, THE WINNING NUMBERS AND PRIZE AMOUNTS IN THE OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE CALIFORNIA LOTTERY SHALL CONTROL.
25. Security of the Internet and the California Lottery's Website
Please be advised that the security of the internet cannot be guaranteed and therefore your privacy thereon cannot be assured. The California Lottery is not responsible for any unauthorized access to communications that you submit over the internet.
26. Additional Terms
Your use of the Services is subject to any and all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to the Services or certain features of the Services that the California Lottery may post on or link to on the Services (the "Additional Terms"), such as end-user license agreements for any Software that the California Lottery may offer, or rules applicable to particular features or content on the Services, subject to your acceptance of such Additional Terms. All such Additional Terms are hereby incorporated by reference into, and made a part of, these TOS.
Effective Date: July 13, 2017